[aprssig] Thanks! (Part 2)

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Sun Apr 10 16:36:38 EDT 2005

On Apr 9, 2005, at 9:23 PM, kd4ydc at juno.com wrote:

> I hope that you would share with the group your experiences about
> today's flight.

I'm working on a report that I'll share with the group, but in short it
was a fun day, a total of 3 balloons with student designed and built
experiments.  The 3 payloads had 2 cutdowns, ATV, video camera with a
student designed stabilization mechanism, solar power experiments, gas
measurements, still camera, and backup trackers.  One landed in a
field, one in a tree over a creek about 100 yards through underbrush,
and I understand there is some ATV footage of the last one hitting the
roof of a 2 story apartment building, where it was retrieved.  Last
week's was in a tree at the edge of a field.

There was help from several, both hams and non-hams; I didn't get all
the names and calls, but all the help is appreciated.

Great tools: opentracker, xastir, the Garmin GPS18, and a slingshot
with a fishing reel attached.

Some pictures from previous projects and flights have an unofficial
home at http://www.eng.uah.edu/~jdw/balloonsat .  After I give everyone
a chance to upload their pictures I'll put them on this page as well.

-Jason
kg4wsv