[aprssig] Re: CAP and APRS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Apr 7 13:49:59 EDT 2005

About CAP and APRS:

Ten years ago, APRS was very strong in CAP and was
really gathering steam.  Then some bureaucrat made the
CAP rule that HAM equipment could not be used on CAP
frquencies and that was the end of it.  I do not know if
anything has changed.  ?

But I am posting this on the APRSSIG to see if anyone
else knows...  Bob

Sir

Do you know if there is a formal policy on APRS in CAP? I proposed to
our
unit comm. officer that we set up APRS units for our ground and
aircrews
using CAP data/packet frequencies, and I got a long spiel about
following
the chain of command to request permission for special experiments and
avoid interference with other agencies etc etc. I saw on one of your
pages
that you had done quite a bit of work with CAP on this project. Do you
have
any references I can pass on to avoid reinventing the wheel? Any
information
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
XXXXXXXXX