[aprssig] how to implement 'No more relay' for dummies

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Apr 5 14:04:34 EDT 2005

Yes and No.!  (to WIDE1-1)

The settings below ONLY APPLY to home stations that
have been purposefully and decidedly determined to
be in the best position to operate as a FILL-IN digi.
We do NOT want every home station to be a digi and
we do NOT want every mobile to be using the WIDE1-1
path if they dont have to...

>>> aprs at kd4rdb.com 4/5/05 1:14:35 PM >>>
Short and to the point (I hope)....  I know some of these threads get
long and people begin to glaze over... here is the summary:

If you are a home station....
and you use a real TNC in serial mode Change the TNC parameter MYA
from
RELAY to WIDE1-1

or you use UI-View with a TNC in KISS mode, simply remove RELAY as a
supported alias and replace it with WIDE1-1.

or you use WINAPRS, change your TNC startup file and replace MYA RELAY
to MYA WIDE1-1 .

If you are a mobile station....
change your outbound path to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 or WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2

WIDE2-2 will work everywhere, but you'll loose the ability to bounce
packets off someone's house when you are in the boonies.

If you are a digi owner...
you don't have to do anything!

After a transition period, you may wish to drop the word RELAY from
your
UIDIGI list.

Wes