[aprssig] UIDIGI Preemptive Digipeating (was: Why RELAY, WIDE... is so bad....)

Tim Schall ka7pbi at fortgirlfriend.com
Sat Apr 2 02:26:03 EST 2005

I adjusted the main downtown Seattle, WA digipeater almost six months ago to
act only upon packets it heard "first."  That cut its transmission time down
by probablly half leaving the outlying digis to haul the traffic out of and
around the downtown area.  At that point it was still acting upon
RELAY,WIDEn-N packets in a conventional manner.  That is packets would leave
SEA as SEA*WIDE2-2.  Within the last 24 hours we've set SEA and another
Western Washington digi up in the manner that you describe here.  As we have
tons of users here still using TRACEn-N it also acts upon that but with a
twist.  TRACEn-N (eg: TRACE3-3), with or without the 'RELAY' in front of it
leaves as SEA*,WIDE3-2.  Note that it changed the TRACE to a WIDE to
accomodate the new paradigm.

I also handle problem paths like 'RELAY,WIDE' and paths that are to long
like WIDE5-5 by picking them up and transmitting them out ONCE.  That is,
RELAY,WIDE5-5 would leave my digi as 'WAS5-5*,SEA*'  That gets the user out
to an igate and has the added benefit of letting them know who whacked their
packet and why.  One additional benefit of using a real computer for a digi
is that I can exempt individual users or groups of users from any or all
rules.

We chose to leave WIDE7-7 and TRACE7-7 alone.  Around here people generally
don't use that path in some sort of an accident.  So we chose to leave it
for those times when you absolutly positively gotta do it with RF.

Anyways, glad to hear that there are others experimenting with preemptive
digipeating and the benefits of using things other than Kantronics TNC's for
digipeaters.  If there is any interest I'd be happy to post my digi_ned.ini
file here for inspection.

Tim Schall
KA7PBI