[aprssig] Why RELAY,WIDE... is so bad....

John Kraus jfkraus3 at cox.net
Fri Apr 1 14:22:37 EST 2005

I think we have exhausted the possibilities.  I think we simply need to
agree that the home relay only stations must be converted to smart
systems.  I think it is time to dump Relay altogether with the only
exceptions being those areas like Curt's where it is critical.

Given the availability of Digi_Ned, UI-View, and Java APRS servers digipeat
module and readily available AC Line power at these home sites there is no
legitimate reason not to insist that the network move to smart digis
wherever possible.

This should not be prohibitively expensive.  It could be inconvenient if
cable swapping is required.

The following assumptions are made.

At each of these locations a Radio/TNC of some sort exists.

Most of these location already have a computer.

If they do not want to leave Windows running so that UI-View or JAPRS can
do the job a simple floppy with Digi_Ned will work.

At the worst a cheap computer to run Digi_Ned may have to be
scrounged.  This is actually the easy part.  I got 10 Pentium 133, 33mb RAM
boxes with 2GB hard drives free.  See DOS fly.

Digi_Ned even supports the TigerTronics Baypac modems both the BP2 and the
BP2M multimode.  This is a $50 modem if bought new and can often be found
cheaply at hamfests.