[aprssig] Why RELAY,WIDE... is so bad....

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Fri Apr 1 10:12:16 EST 2005

On Apr 1, 2005, at 8:58 AM, Robbie - WA9INF wrote:

> In all my experiences, which don't seem to make any sense any more,
> our home station RELAYs with CallSign substitution, or MyAlias was
> exactly that. A home RELAY hears the RELAY,WIDE2-2 and it goes out as
> WA9INF*,WIDE2-2, which I still see all our Home stations RELAYs doing
> even today!

Right.  My point (which I didn't make very well) was that this way we
could eliminate RELAY from the path so that the big digi's don't
digipeat it without the dupe suppression if they happen to hear it
first (which I'm guessing happens most of the time), but we can still
have home and fill-in digis where we need them.

> Not many are actually needed with our big WIDEn-Ns, but there are a
> few that do a good job. Mine is not needed, so I don't digipeat
> anything..

We really don't have the problem around here, but it seems from
discussions on the list that many areas could benefit from this
attitude (don't run a digi if it isn't needed).

My town is in a low area on the river, and the only digi is on a
mountain 20 miles away.  Unfortunately, it's not high enough to provide
really good coverage, so we need some fill-in digis.  I'm going to put
one up at home. Even though it's just a rooftop antenna and HAAT is
probably negative, it's better than nothing.  After I get some
experience running a digi and get some more appropriate hardware I'll
start looking for a higher site for it.

-Jason
kg4wsv