[aprssig] Why RELAY,WIDE... is so bad....

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Apr 1 09:25:44 EST 2005

>>> "Stephen H. Smith" <wa8lmf2 at aol.com> 3/31/05 6:01:14 PM >>>
>On the issue of how to combine home digi first-hop-assist
>with true  WIDEn-N systems without using first-hop RELAY:
>
>How about:  "WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2"    ??

Good Idea!  Worth a test!
1) It works via the fill-in-home-digi (with or without callsign
substitution)
2) But if a normal digi hears it first, then it will be accepted under
the WIDEn-N algorithm and therefore if that same digi hears
a subsequent copy of it, it will ignore it!

WOW!  Am I missing something or is this the Holy Grail?
It depends on the exact implementation in the KPC-3 as
to whether it cares or not about which WIDEn-N field it
is addressing or not.  Definately worth a test!!!

Bob