[aprssig] Why RELAY,WIDE... is so bad....

n1iic Jason Greene n1iic at arrl.net
Fri Apr 1 00:00:40 EST 2005

It seems that that changing all the possibly digipeating stations to wide is
a good idea, but I see a problem with home boxes would make a mess of the
network, especially when there are KPC-3 digi's in the area.
Would it be possible to write an alogorithm into the home software that
looks at the symbol of the stations, and secondly looks at the amount of
traffic through a station that does not have a digi symbol to distinguish
between a digi or not? This would allow the software to learn who is a digi
and to not repeat the WideN-n packets coming from that station. This would
allow the home boxes to digi amongst themselves until it makes a real wide.

I live in a rural area, and I drove tractor trailer in REALLY rural areas,
so having home stations digipeating is imperative. Finding the correct
solution is just as imperative.

Jason