[aprssig] Kam back-up battery

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Sep 27 15:37:26 EDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, John wrote:

> Just a note of warning, with the battery be VERY carefull about
> soldering to it. I had one  (a CR 2032) explode on me doing that, lucky
> for me I wear glasses or I would be blind now. Chose any 3volt battery
> that has solder lugs on it

I think Radio Shack carrys (or used to carry) a lithium battery
holder and batteries to fit it.  Pretty much any 3V lithium should
work for you.  I've also heard about exploding lithiums, so I
wouldn't suggest soldering to it, particularly if you're nervous
already about desoldering/soldering on the PCB itself.

If I were you though I'd find the proper battery holder or a close
facsimile and coerce some nearby ham to put it on your board for
you.  It'd be more reliable in the long run than what you described.
Usually a six-pack of beer or pepsi will serve as the proper
currency to get this done.  If you're lucky you'll get to share it
during the operation.