[aprssig] RE: aprssig Digest, Vol 3, Issue 28

john van sandt n9yrx at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 27 14:42:48 EDT 2004

Bob sed:
"Of course I assume everyone knows that this wont work on a mountain top
digi in LA that can hear 300 users direct!  But nothing can fix that.
Any digi that
can hear more than the ALOHA number of stations (about 60 for average
APRS)
are completely overloaded and obsolete anyway.  Those digis must be
replaced
by multiple low sites that dont have to hear so much QRM. no matter what

frequency they listen on.

de Wb4APR, Bob"

I have started an APRS net as part of our ARES monthly events.  The problem
I have is I am having to use an ever increasing WideX-X to get a message to
check-ins.  I think the reason for this is that there are more digis that
"burn off" a Wide statement than what there was a year ago.  I am now up to
Wide7-7 to get a message reliabily 125 miles away in 5 re-tries.
Any thoughts or am I opening another can of worms?  (Don't open a can of
worms unless you plan on going fishing:)

N9YRX
ARRL Clark County ILL ARES® Coordinator
ILL Section Offical Emergency Station
For present APRS location: