[aprssig] APRS low-power-local ALT input channel

Robbie - WA9INF mwrobertson at comcast.net
Sun Sep 26 00:11:35 EDT 2004

Gents,

I hope this never takes place on a wide scale. Special events, yes,
maybe it may work temporarily without too much detriment to the other users.

To advocate listening on one frequency and transmitting on another
without some kind of CD, is asking for some serious kind network failures!

I am not aware of any trackers or base stations or digipeaters that do
this now. If a tracker can not hear another station or CD, then it has
the right to transmit. If a digipeater, or base station, does not hear
another station, or NO CD, then it has the right to transmit..

But to just blatantly come up and digipeat a low power signal from
another frequency with out CD on 144.390, is "intentional interference".
It is not Aloha. Isn't Aloha "Transmit if you don't hear another
station" and the digipeaters or home RELAYs will sort it out?

Even in a busy area like Chicago, I can track several 5 watt trackers
when they are on.

I hope this can be sorted out before hundreds of stations jump on this
without fully understanding what may happen..

Robbie