[aprssig] Re: [ui-view] RE: APRS low-power-local ALT input channel>> 144.34 ?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Sep 25 12:49:44 EDT 2004

Easy answer.  No.  144.34 is the National ATV simplex
channel and has been for 30 years or more.  Before APRS
became the popular mode for Balloons, ATV was the most
exciting payload and that is why Balloons classically operate
on 144.34.  Becasue it is ATV, they welcome the occassional
Balloon there as it alerts them to a launch..

It would generate civil war if APRS operators began using
144.34 routinely on the ground.  Listen on 144.34 anywhere
in the evening anywhree that there is an ATV repeater and
you will find someone listening...  Hence, before we have
too many pocket trackers sold on that Balloon freuency,
I'd like to find another alt freq soon...  de Wb4APR, Bob

>>> kmcaviezel at yahoo.com 09/25/04 11:01 AM >>>
Bob, All;
I understand the motivation on the low power alt input
channel.   An important part of the low power APRS
gadjetry is the Pocket Tracker.  The standard PT can
only run on 144.39 or 144.34.   Is 144.34 an
acceptable freq for an alt input freq ?  I talked to
Tony a few months ago, at that juncture he said there
were more than 1000 PT sold (!).   So, after they get
together and get on the air, there is already a
significant hardware base for 144.39 or 144.34, but
not 144.99 without new chips being burned and a whole
ton of little transmitters being re-tuned.   The ARRL
bandplan lists 144.34 as 'experiemental packet' and
we've used it with great success for balloon flights
over Colorado (reaching into all the adjacent states,
too).

- KMC ng0x (former ac0ak)

http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM