[aprssig] APRS low-power-local ALT input channel

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Fri Sep 24 14:12:00 EDT 2004

Per previous discussions, you are promoting transmitting on a shared
frequency without ANY form of collision avoidance.  While you feel that
the end justifies the means, I see only the encouragement of bad
operating practice and bad network design.

There is nothing inflammatory about this statement.  It is bad operating
practice to transmit on a frequency without listening first to avoid
causing intentional interference.  It is a bad data network design to
have data devices share a medium (in this case the alternate frequency)
with no collision avoidance mechanism.

A far better solution, IMO, is to educate people about excessive paths
and beacon rates, and to implement restrictions at the digipeaters such
as not digipeating packets that have excessive paths.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net