[aprssig] conveying map view

Curt Mills archer at eskimo.com
Thu Sep 23 23:44:44 EDT 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>
> > Im sold.   What we are agreeing to is:
> > 1)  EYEBALL symbol indicates "something of interest here"
> > 2)  RNGxxx indicates the range of area of interest
> > 3)  Authors will use this info as needed for the case at
> >     hand to make sure that user get opportunity to
> >     focus on that area..
> > 4)  But also consider the "SPECIAL" mode designed into
> >     the APRS spec that already indicates a given user
> >     is "subscribed" to a local "SPECIAL" event.  This
> >    subscription can be used as a decision point in determining
> >    how interested the user might be to this info...
>

> All of this is general enough that I'm agreeing to it in total.
> The implementation details from then on will differ from author to
> author as they see fit.

The initial decoding and zoom/center function are now implemented in
Xastir/CVS.  Users can sync up to anonymous CVS after five hours or
so and have it.  I already tested it with an eyeball object.

One caveat:  Watch out for the edge-of-the-earth bug.  As long as
you don't have an edge showing, it'll work properly.  I filed a bug
report for that one.  It's a general bug, not directly related to
the new function.

Later we can add the View->Map Views dialog where you can select
from all views available, plus a way to create the Map View eyeball
object more easily.  Right now you have to remember the format
"RNG0050" and add it to the comment field when creating the object
(That example is for a 50-mile range).

Enjoy!

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com