[aprssig] APRS -Special- Mode

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Sep 23 15:09:12 EDT 2004

>>> "Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com> 9/23/04 2:46:16 PM >>>
>We don't have a SPECIAL mode in Xastir, but we can select any
>ALTNET, so just entering SPCL in that box and hitting the
>togglebutton will take us there.

Ah, thanks...I hope it is on your do list eventually.

The concept of "SPECIAL"
operations as opposed to 24/7 operations was fundamental
to APRS since within a year after APRS first began in 1992,
it was immediately recognized that the only way to do special
events was to do it *without* having to see, filter, or be
distracted by non-event traffic.

Further, there were so many settings involved in configuring
for a local special event such as:
1) Changing to a 10 minuet net cycle decay rate (from 30)
2) Changing to a TOCALL of SPCL (that is still
    recveived by all others so that everyone can
    still *watch* the event
3) Filter out non SPCL traffic
4) Change other timings and so forth

That therefore APRS had just one switch.
SPECIAL or NORMAL.   This way, new and
old users alike that came to an event didnt
have to really know all the details of APRS,
but by setting "SPECIAL" their station would
be instantly optomized for a local event...

Hence, we got SPECIAL mode into the spec...

Just a thought.
Bob