[aprssig] conveying map view

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Sep 23 14:46:16 EDT 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> I like your concept of "subscription" to an event and letting
> your system respond to the "net control".

I think the idea was Bill Herrmann's, but I like it too!

> Actually that
> subscription is already well defined in the APRS Spec.
> Its called the "SPCL" operations.  Its lilke a pre-dfefined
> ALT-NET.  Everyone that is working a given special
> event sets "SPECIAL" mode which identifies him as a
> participant in the local event.  This could then be the
> "subscription" you propose.
>
> There is no NET CONTROL, but once you are in a local
> event whic vastly restricts your response to QRM non-event
> packets, then you could allow anyone in the event to send
> the EYEBALL and everyone that is subscribing would then
> be one step closer to allowing automatic reception from
> this event... of a PUSHED map view..?

Works for me, and should be less to implement.  Just check for the
"SPCL" ALTNET being selected, then if Map View Eyeball received in
that ALTNET,  change to it.

We don't have a SPECIAL mode in Xastir, but we can select any
ALTNET, so just entering SPCL in that box and hitting the
togglebutton will take us there.