[aprssig] Latest Xastir Release: 1.4.0, 09/16/2004

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Thu Sep 23 13:23:19 EDT 2004

It's much much easier on FreeBSD..  You can build Xastir from the ports
tree and it'll include all of the necessary libraries that Xastir
supports.  Then, when a new version comes out, you can pull a new ports
tree and do portupgrade.  I'm hoping that 1.4.0 will be released as a port
real soon (1.3.2 is the latest on there right now).  It's not so much that
I'm lazy, as much as it's much easier to keep things current if everything
is registered in the package system.

Last time I looked on Debian, the port there for Xastir was very very
dated.  Maybe someone has submitted a new one though.  I'd always try to
install from port first, before trying to go through the hassle of building
everything out manually.

As for installing on Cygwin.  So far, you're more or less on your own.  It
does work though, as it does on Mac OS X, but does require a lot more
work.  The results are pretty cool though. :-)

Even if you build an OLD Xastir from Ports, you can then build a new Xastir
after the fact.  Then you'll still have the necessary optional components
(such as mapping support, etc.) that you will need.

Xastir's a great piece of software.  It runs the K1XVM I-Gate here in Maine.

--Droo, K1XVM