[aprssig] conveying map view

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Wed Sep 22 17:23:04 EDT 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Bob Bruninga wrote:
>
> > This is a good idea.  We just need to choose an APRS
> > symbol that means to do it.  I suggest the EYEBALL?
>
> I vote for that too, but make the software key off:
>
>     Eyeball symbol plus a range specifier
>
> Do we need yet another unique thing to key off?  My intent here is
> to enable another right-click mouse menu option when you click on
> this object.
  I'm with you, Curt.  Under NO circumstances should an incoming packet
cause my display to change the display center, zoom level, or focus.  That
would be totally obnoxious to have any outside input affect my console in
that manner.  It would be the straw that broke the camels back.  I've been
saying for some time that APRS is suffering greatly from creeping
featureitus, but if my display started jumping around because some fool
out there thought HIS object was the most important thing for me to look
at, it would prompt me to turn it off and find another way to pursue this
hobby.
  Xastir already has a right-click 'center and zoom' function.  the only
problem is that it prompts for lat/long, when intuitively, it should act
on the current cursor position, and zoom by a fixed amount (like the 2x
'zoom in' function does now).  I don't know where it gets the default
lat/long values, but they aren't the current cursor position, and
sometimes they aren't even within the current display.  We don't need a
new symbol and I certainly don't want any externally-triggered automatic
functions.  Just fix the function that's there already.

--
Rick Green

                                  -Benjamin Franklin