[aprssig] RE: [OZAPRS] Re: SSID's

Bill Herrmann bherrman at spro.net
Sun Sep 19 23:38:45 EDT 2004

At 09:38 AM 9/19/2004 -0400, Bob Bruninga wrote:
> > I do not see why you would want to know that a station is a kenwood HT
>Becasue it is a tracker that can RECEIVE messages.

So? It isn't important to know that it's a Kenwood. It is important to know
that it's message-capable. Let's not confuse capability with brand. (and
don't forget that Kenwood makes non-APRS HTs)

It doesn't matter whether it's a ham toting a Kenwood HT or a ham toting 2
HTs, a TNC, portable terminal device etc. (except that I'd say the latter
is pretty dedicated to APRS...) What matters is whether I can send a
message to that ham or not.

>APRSdos displays all message capable statiosn in one
>color and all others in a different color...

Which is exactly what we want. Is that on the client capability chart? I
know I've seen new (at least I hope they were new) APRS users sending
messages to stations (digis, TinyTrak etc.) to stations that were
identified per the APRS spec. as non-message-capable. (Actually, did it
myself this morning, but it was 0430, we were on the road, and I knew the
ham in question had receive capability. Turns out he hadn't switched it on
yet...)

Bill