[aprssig] GPS OEM modules

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Sep 15 12:37:10 EDT 2004

I'm looking for GPS module suggestions for a new TNC/tracker design -
something that can be plugged in easily as a daughter card and will provide
an SMA connector for an external antenna, since it'll be in a steel box.
There are some nice solderable modules, but I'd prefer a user-installable
drop-in option.  Does anyone have any suggestions, or comments on any of
these?

Motorola M12+ Oncore
Trimble Lassen LP
Laipac TF-10 or UV-40
Garmin GPS 15L
u-blox SBR-LS or RCB-LJ
Others?

The Laipac TF10 is looking like one of the best options so far - it's small,
has a simple pin header connection, and provides a straight SMA out the back
for an active antenna.  Haven't used one before, though - I'll have to pick
up a sample or two.

Scott
N1VG