[aprssig] Questions about paths

Chris Kantarjiev cak at dimebank.com
Tue Sep 7 14:56:00 EDT 2004

> "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga at usna.edu> typed...

> You should not be digiing anyone
> unless you live on a very high hill and can serve the
> community.  If you are diging otherwise, you are just adding
> QRM to everyone else..

This is a pretty blanket statement, admittedly from someone who Speaks
the Truth. I'm still very new to APRS, so let me tell you what I see
in two situations:

The first situation is at my home in Silicon Valley. I've been trying to
use a Pocket Tracker, which is pretty low power (about 250mW). It seems
to have a pretty tough time getting over the local noise floor, so I'm
building up a more powerful tracker. But in the process of trying to
get it working, my observation is that it's a pretty long way from
my neighborhood (zip 94306, 37.432/-122.153) to the nearest digi:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/near.cgi?call=KG6VYD

shows it about 7 miles away to the south, and nothing shows up to the
north in that listing. WC6O-3 seems to just RELAY; it has very little
HAAT.

So my temptation has been to install a TNC/radio in my garage and start
running a RELAY only digi; I've only got about 20ft HAAT, so it doesn't
seem to make much sense to claim to be WIDE. Once I have the setup
going, I'll try to contact a local repeater to transfer the gear
there - they could do a decent job of being WIDE, I think.

Am I wrong in this approach? I'm trying to fill in the digi network
for moderate powered trackers.

The second situation is at our mountain cabin, south of Yosemite
National Park. This is an environment with a lot less noise,
but it's mountainous and there are very few digis. A path of
WIDE4-4 will usually get me to an igate....

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/near.cgi?lat=37.405&lon=-119.6242

The local repeater has good voice coverage, but no digi. The folks running
the closest digi (55 miles south, WA6YLB-3) are working on
putting a digi to the north of me, in the Park proper. But there's
pretty much no coverage on the CA Hwy 41 corridor from Fresno up
to the park, mostly because of hill shadow.

Again, my inclination has been to put a RELAY digi on my roof. I have
40-50 HAAT to the S/SE, with Hwy 41 to my N/NW above me. Once I
get it running, I would like to donate the hardware to the local
repeater in Oakhurst, which would be a really nice WIDE site.
There's a Forest Service lookout on top of an 8000' peak (Shuteye)
that would make a *great* WIDE site, if I can get some contacts
there (I think the folks putting the digi in the Park have
contacts with the FS - Shuteye isn't staffed year round, so it
will be ... interesting to keep a digi running there).

In general, digi coverage isn't very good in this part of the Sierra.
It seems we could use an igate closer; I don't have continuous
IP connectivity at the cabin or I'd put one in.

Back to my original question - is running RELAY in these situations
a bad thing?

Thanks,
chris