[aprssig] ZipCodes Tip

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Sep 5 12:34:13 EDT 2004

While visiting a distant area without a GPS,  I wanted
to enter a vague position in the area into my D7 so that
friends would know I was in town and not 1000 miles
away.

Now I realize most APRS programs have the ZIPCODE
data base (at least APRSdos does), so we could have
defined a LAT/LONG of 0000.00/00ZZZ.ZZ to be a
way to encode position by ZIP code.  Then just a quick
look at the nearest business address would have given me
position data good enough for that purpose.

Just a thought.
Question is where would the conversion be made...
Bob