[aprssig] Honoring Roger Barker's (G4IDE) contribution to APRS

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sat Sep 4 00:56:13 EDT 2004

September 4, 2004...   For Immediate Release!

Last week, the Tier 2 SysOps posted a notice that they were forming a
tribute called "UI-View Forever" to Roger Barker, G4IDE, the author of
the UI-View APRS client software package.  The Core APRS-IS SysOps also
recognize the importance and sheer impact that UI-View has had on the
APRS community.  We applaud the efforts that the Tier 2 SysOps have
made.  This tribute could not be for a more worthy cause or purpose.

Since the best of amateur radio is always revealed in times of crisis or
need, the Core group of SysOps have resolved to assist Roger as well.
Taking a cue from the Tier 2 SysOps, we developed another approach to
honor Roger’s contribution to APRS, and specifically the APRS-Internet
Service.

UI-View’s importance extends past its functionality with Tier 2 and
javAPRSSrvr-based servers.  Therefore, the three APRS-IS Core SysOps
have decided to offer a contribution based on UI-View connections to ALL
APRS-IS servers.  The contribution reflects connections to Core servers
and any regional server identified on either of the two common APRS-IS
server statistics websites (http://www.ahubswe.net/aprs_stat.asp and
http://www.aprs-is.net/APRSServers.htm).  We have taken a snapshot of
all connections that occurred at 1730Z on September 4, 2004 and will
donate one U.S. dollar for each UI-View connection that was observed.
Note that since only the three Core SysOps performed the counting, and
there are tens of servers, some of the counts may not have been taken at
exactly 1730Z.

Here is what we observed:

Core Servers:    145 UI-View Connections
Tier 2 Servers:  252 UI-View Connections
Other Regional Servers: 153 UI-View Connections

The accumulated total was 550 UI-View connections to the APRS-IS.  We
rounded this value up to 600, compensating for any missed counts.  The
corresponding total amount of $600.00 will therefore be forwarded by the
group of three Core APRS-IS SysOps to Roger and his family in their time
of need.

We challenge ALL amateur operators to consider making some type of
contribution to Roger and his family, however small.  If it isn’t
possible to contribute directly, consider donating a few dollars to your
local Cancer Support group.  These groups provide invaluable services to
families during times of need.

About the Core APRS-IS Servers
-----------------------------

The center of all internet-based APRS data is passed through the three
Core servers.  We provide connectivity via servers running at large
educational institutions and data centers having large bandwidth pipes
in order to provide large-scale user access to this data.  The Core
servers offer data feed options ranging from downstream server access
ingesting the entire world's real-time APRS data stream, to the end user
needing specific data via a filtered port connection.  We urge you to
connect wherever you are able to get the best results.  Should you
decide to connect to the Core directly, we provide a round-robin next
server rotation DNS system; all you need to use is rotate.aprs.net as
your host and the port (10152 for the full world, 10154 for the
continental US, and 14580 for a custom feed, just to name a few) of your
choice.

Again, we are glad to be part of the global APRS-IS network, and wish
all the best for Roger and his family.

For more information about APRS:
http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
For more information about the APRS-IS: http://www.aprs-is.net/

Very 73,

Dave Anderson KG4YZY
Gerry Creager N5JXS
Greg Noneman WB6ZSU
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.847.8578
Page: 979.228.0173