[aprssig] BNC Connectors?

Norm McMillan njmcmillan at bigpond.com
Fri Oct 29 02:54:58 EDT 2004

Josh Keller wrote:
> This might be a little off topic, but maybe someone else will find it useful
> also.
>

> I recently got a Yaesu FT-3000M 2m radio and I want to put it in my Jeep.
> The problem is that it has a soft top so I want to be able to remove the
> radio easily at night, or if I am going to leave somewhere very long. I've
> gotten a quick disconnect mount and the power is quick to disconnect, so the
> only thing left is the antenna connection.
>

> What I was wondering is if it would be OK to get a PL-259=>BNC adapter for
> the radio, then put a BNC end on my antenna cable. The FT-3000M puts out 70W
> and I use it both for APRS and for FM Voice. Is the BNC capable of handling
> this, or is that why I've never seen it on anything but an HT? If it is
> capable of handling the power, am I losing much by adding an adapter in
> there?
>

> Thanks,
> Josh

G'day Josh,
The quality of PL259 to BNC connectors varies enormously, as does the
quality of BNC connectors. The best (professional) brands are
silver-plated and cost !!! Stuff from your local hobby shop usually
falls at the inferior end of the grade.

We used Amphenol exclusively... paid more but got immeasurable loss
150MHz... The loss was less than the calibration tolerance of the
measuring equipment.

I am in no way connected with Amphenol, just an out of work metrology tech.

--
Norm, VK2XCI,
Voice of The Edge of The Outback.