[aprssig] Worst Path of the Day

Christensen, Eric CHRISTENSENE at MAIL.ECU.EDU
Wed Oct 27 17:15:13 EDT 2004

And of course a gauging system that we could see if there was an
improvement by having such educational links and pages would also be
helpful.

-----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org
[mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org] On Behalf Of Steve Dimse
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 14:12
To: Robert Bruninga
Cc: aprssig at lists.tapr.org
Subject: Re: [aprssig] Worst Path of the Day

On 10/27/04 at 1:56 PM Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> sent:

>> this filtering without education is a poor solution. If the
>>thesis that findU is the goal of the users is true, and a
>>user running a bad path looks on findU and doesn't
>>see himself, what will he do?
>
>I think something was missed here.  He -will- be on FINDU,
>but his position will -not- be displayed on a map and
>the map will instead show something like:
>
>"This position arrived at FINDU via a path that is too long and
>considered in appropriate on the APRS RF system."  For more information

>on the proper use of paths please see:
>     http://educational-web-bage...

My post you quote was in response to a proposal to filter bad paths at
the IGate. In that case, there is no way for findU to post such a
message. The user's data will simply not arrive at findU.

In my proposal for intervention at findU, to be clear, I will not be
preventing a position from being seen. I will add a message near the top
of the page in red stating the path is bad, with the link to the
educational page, and the email address of the person that volunteers to
handle all questions on the matter.

Wes' page is an excellent start, what is needed is a how-to for each of
the popular programs, and of course someone to step forward as the point
man.

The ONLY way I would consider blocking data would be if a committee were
formed to hear complaints of individual ham's paths. The committee would
need to make an educational effort on any accused ham, if that failed
I'd add a message stating what had happened and that the users data
would be blocked in x days unless the path is shortened. Only only if
that effort failed would I would take the extreme action of blocking an
individual ham's data with a message referring them back to the
committee.

>>This filtering method gives no education to the users,
>>and no way for me or anyone else to help identify the
>>problem.
>
>I think the original proposal was not a "filter" but a witholding of
>the FINDU "viewing" ability from those users that are abusing RF as a
>means of getting positive feedback to them.

The original proposal was, the reply of mine you quote was in response
to an IGate blocking proposal.

>It is that positive feedback to the user that is so important and what
>is so frustrating about transmit-only trackers some of which could care

>less about the RF network as long as their packets make it to FINDU...

My point, in case it is not completely clear, is I am willing to
participate in such things to the extent that I am the only person that
is capable, namely changing the findU programming. For everything else,
it MUST be someone else's work, and there MUST be someone else to handle
the email that will result.

Steve K4HG