[aprssig] Worst Path of the Day

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Wed Oct 27 11:43:41 EDT 2004

I'm trying to figure out when we stopped being people-centric and started
becoming whiners?.  If an operator is running bad paths or misusing the
service, get in touch with the local club in the area, pick up a phone, try
to find them on a repeater, or e-mail them.  Isn't this how we'd cover any
other instance of QRM?

This isn't about IGates or Findu.  Those resources don't have the same
finite bandwidth issues that will continue to plague APRS for the time
being.  The problem is initiative.  If I see things I don't particularly
like here, then I get on the horn to someone about it to find out what the
reasoning is.  Likewise, they do the same for me if for some reason my
IGate or my truck radio, etc. aren't set to do the right thing.  There
isn't any verbal wars or anarchy.  Amateur operators do generally take
minor precautions and then play the game of, 'if it's a problem, someone
will gripe'.

Yes, it's an education problem.  However, many of the APRS users have to
get the software from somewhere.  Generally, those users are getting the
software from the Internet.  Perhaps there should be a link to a Cause and
Effect web page on each site with software download, or perhaps future
revisions of software packages should have a 'beat the user if he uses a
ridiculous path' with an override.

There are other ways to go about this.  I don't think messing with the
infrastructure or a secondary service such as the IS is going to be a
viable solution.  The 'large stick' is the fact these people are on radios
and there is a path that leads back to them.  Also, they have to carry a
license to operate on the service anyway.

Just my thoughts with my flame shield on..

--Droo, K1XVM