[aprssig] (solution?) Worst Path of the Day

John Kraus jfkraus3 at cox.net
Wed Oct 27 11:35:36 EDT 2004

I can understand Steve's reluctance to play APRS COP. However, I have felt
for a long time that the best way to deal with this problem is to use
social pressure to reinforce education.

Here is my proposal:

Define a set of reasonable paths by hop count.

(My preference is 2-3 hops max for most normal stations)

Publish these paths.

Have Steve or other admin's create an education page with a redirect to the
requested FINDU page after XX seconds.

Anytime a station is using an excessively long path they get served the
education page first and then are redirected to the main FINDU page after a
short delay.  This is much like Bob's solution of allowing the operator to
use any path but warning them when they choose a potentially excessive one.

If a station has a valid reason they will still be able to use it.

For those who abuse the system they have been cautioned and if they persist
I would then be willing to call it deliberate interference if they have no
legitimate reason.

I can hear the social pressure now:

Honey what are you doing that makes the maps take so long to appear?

Uh well uh My path is uh

Don't give me any junk about PATHS just fix it. <CLANG> SOUND OF FRYING PAN
UPSIDE THE HEAD.

<meekly> Yes dear.

Social pressure reinforcing education :)