[APRSSIG] Time to Clean Up the Satellites on APRS

Christensen, Eric CHRISTENSENE at MAIL.ECU.EDU
Mon Oct 18 15:48:46 EDT 2004

Yeah, I'll agree with Bob's interpretation of my words... ;)

73s,
Eric KF4OTN
kf4otn at amsat.org
http://www.ericsatcom.net

AMSAT-NA Member: 35360
Project OSCAR Member

-----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org
[mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org] On Behalf Of Robert Bruninga
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 13:52
To: aprssig at lists.tapr.org
Subject: Re: [APRSSIG] Time to Clean Up the Satellites on APRS

>>> "Curt, WE7U" <archer at eskimo.com> 10/18/04 12:20:19 PM >>>
>> IMO, these should only include the FM birds used for
>> APRS and not any of the SSB Voice birds.
>
>Why... restrict APRS objects to just those birds useful for APRS?  That

>part doesn't make sense to me.  Ham radio is more than APRS, but APRS
>is useful to complement those other activities.

What he meant was FM birds.  Not just "APRS" birds.
The resason not to  put out the SSB birds is because
of the point of deminishing returns.
- This is an APRS service for APRS mobiles
- Fixed stations with PC's dont need it as they can run
  any kind of satellite tracking program
- 99% or more of the mobiles only have FM
- Most all of the non FM birds require gain antennas

So serving the FM birds serves 100% of the APRS
mobiles that are interested.  Doubling the channel
used by 1% of the mobiles seems like QRM to the
other 99%.

Or something like that...
de Wb4APR, Bob