[APRSSIG] Time to Clean Up the Satellites on APRS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Oct 18 14:08:43 EDT 2004

>>> CHRISTENSENE at MAIL.ECU.EDU 10/18/04 1:18:19 PM >>>
>Because anyone that is actually working the voice sats
>would be using other means for tracking those birds.

Lets get terminology straight here.  This discussion is getting
all twisted up.  If the above sentence is about SSB birds,
we all agree there.

But FM voice birds can be worked by any mobile FM rig if the
driver simply knows when to work it.  And that is edxactly what
APRSdata is about.  APRS should make any operator aware
of the HAM radio Assets within range of him.  An FM satellite
overhead is such a "local" asset, because anything you can
hit direct is "local"...  And you can easily hit a satellite from
your mobile.

>The alerts for the satellites should remind you to QSY
>over for a digital bird.  Trust me, I work many other LEOs
>in data and voice modes and have NEVER used the listings
>on APRS because they aren't descriptive enough.

I find that comment quite missleading.  Sure if you have a
PC with you, then it will always give better tracking data.
But how many of those birds above have you worked
out-of-the-blue without a PC?  That is what we are talking
about here...

>From your mobile FM rig and OMNI antenna, what more
do you need?  APRSdata provides to every mobile operator
on the front panel of his radio:
1) The UPLINK and DOWNLINI freuqencies plus DOppler
2) The direction and distance to the bird
3) The direction it is moving
4) The name of the bird.

>From that data, anyone should be able to easily "visualize" the
where the bird is and how much longer he has to work it.  In fact,
if one has a D700 with the voice module, it will SPEAK the satellite
elevatoin to you as "high" "medium" or "low"...

See http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/satinfo.html

>Actually, IMO they are useless and do nothing but crowd
>up the RF bandwidth.

A personal opinion.  I find them very valuable while mobile
because it lets me work birds I would otherwise never even
know were in my "local domain".  And its only 1 more mobile
in your local area net and only for about 10 minteus or less.

I think such data is far more valuable than tracking someone
on his drive to 7 eleven for cigarettes.

But I agree completely:
1) Only the satellites workable from an FM mobile rig should be
    included.
2) Old satellites, SSB satellites, and HEO or MEO birds
    etc are only QRM to the intended application here.

de Wb4APR, Bob