[APRSSIG] Time to Clean Up the Satellites on APRS

Christensen, Eric CHRISTENSENE at MAIL.ECU.EDU
Mon Oct 18 13:18:19 EDT 2004

Because anyone that is actually working the voice sats would be using
other means for tracking those birds.  The alerts for the satellites
should remind you to QSY over for a digital bird.  Trust me, I work many
other LEOs in data and voice modes and have NEVER used the listings on
APRS because they aren't descriptive enough.  Actually, IMO they are
useless and do nothing but crowd up the RF bandwidth.  But, I could see
having an alert for 44 and thinking to myself "Time to QSY".

73s,
Eric KF4OTN
kf4otn at amsat.org
http://www.ericsatcom.net

AMSAT-NA Member: 35360
Project OSCAR Member

-----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org
[mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org] On Behalf Of Curt, WE7U
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 12:20
To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
Subject: Re: [APRSSIG] Time to Clean Up the Satellites on APRS

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Christensen, Eric wrote:

> It has come to my attention that there are people that are sending out

> satellites on APRS that aren't even functional anymore and is just
> adding QRM to the networks.  Please check your setups and make sure
> that you are only sending out those satellites that are actually in
> service. IMO, these should only include the FM birds used for APRS and

> not any of the SSB Voice birds.

I agree that we should keep just the "working set" and eliminate the
non-working birds.

Why however restrict APRS objects to just those birds useful for APRS?
That part doesn't make sense to me.  Ham radio is more than APRS, but
APRS is useful to complement those other activities.

"Windows:  Microsoft's tax on computer illiterates." -- WE7U "The world
DOES revolve around me:  I picked the coordinate system!"