[APRSSIG] Time to Clean Up the Satellites on APRS

ke4nyv at hamhud.net ke4nyv at hamhud.net
Mon Oct 18 13:13:27 EDT 2004

Quoting "Christensen, Eric" <CHRISTENSENE at MAIL.ECU.EDU>:

> It has come to my attention that there are people that are sending out
> satellites on APRS that aren't even functional anymore and is just
> adding QRM to the networks.  Please check your setups and make sure that
> you are only sending out those satellites that are actually in service.
> IMO, these should only include the FM birds used for APRS and not any of
> the SSB Voice birds.

While on the subject, Eric, living in NC I'm sure you are familiar with WA4MJF's
satellite object server.  I'm up in Roanoke, Va.  A while back the server
appeared to take a different form in how it does things.  The format of the
packets now look "odd".  Before, the object packets sent out were decoded and
displayed by both my HamHUD II as well as WinAPRS.  Since this change, they no
longer show on the map in WinAPRS as well as cause the parser in the HamHUD II
to lock up (much like the OpenTrac balloon project did, lets not hash that any
more!)

I have attempted to email him and ask what has changed, but no response.  Was
wondering if you knew anything about it.  I'm wondering if the software he is
using is Bob's sat object server or somthing else/new.  There was an obvoius
change at some time.

Jason KE4NYV
www.ke4nyv.com
RPC Electronics