[aprssig] Fundamental APRS capacity

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Oct 4 19:19:54 EDT 2004

>>> rtg at aapsc.com 10/4/04 3:56:06 PM >>>
>> * C begins as 1, but as you encounter each digi, further
>>   and further away, increment C by 1 because of the added copy.
>
>I still haven't heard you tell us how this algorithm gives us a clear
>indication of how to set an unproto path.

It doesnt.  This algorithm does nothing about your path.
Its purpose is to show you the user a consistent measure
and display of the actual channel activity requirement
in your area.  The resulting ALOHA circle displays that
area which is generating approximately an average of
1 packet per second based on who and what is on the
air LIVE.  This is a 100% full channel.

You then are supposed to look at your APRS display
of the PHG circle of coverage of the digipeaters in that
area and then *think* about what path is necessary
to hit your local intended area of coverage knowing that
you *cannot* expect to reliably hit anything beyond
that Aloha range.

Simply look at the PHG circles and in about 1 second you
can see that maybe only one or two hops should get you
to everyone in your local area... depending on the digis
in your area...  If one's software doesnt display DIGI PHG
circles or other means ot displaying the digi network
connectivity, then I dont see how anyone using that software
can possibly operate APRS and respond to the network around
them and the changing network environment.

Bob