[aprssig] WinAPRS fails to accept ACKed messages

WB4GQK at aol.com WB4GQK at aol.com
Sat Nov 27 16:39:35 EST 2004

Reference message from aa3jy at winlink.org  dated 11/24/04 9:20:02 AM  and
kb8uih at sbcglobal.net dated 11/26/04 9:21:16 AM

Hi all,

Let me set the record straight regards not responding to ACKs from messages I
have transmitted. First of all it is not a software problem! It is not a
hardware problem! It is not an operational setup problem! OK so what is it.

Let me go back to a large discussion that was held on the SIG last April. The
main thrust of this discussion centered around TIMESLOTTING on HF
frequencies. Prior to that discussion I had opened a discussion on the collisions that I
can see and hear on 30 M APRS.

Now before I go into this discussion I want to set the record straight.. This
is not intended in any way to be a complaint or putdown. Just please
recognize I am stating facts not making any justifications or condemnations.

First of all this discussion will center around the massive amount of
collisions I SEE and HEAR. Those of you who are familiar with the SGC 2000 know the
TNC plug on the transmitter does not affect the audio so I can hear the AX25
signals as well as watch the LEDs in the KAM+ in addition to observing the
received signal strength in the SGC display monitor. Believe me all 3 are very
informative and tell quite a story.

With that said let me provide a list of Weather stations that I consistently
receive:
C6AGH
VP5DB
VP5DB-1
VP5DB-2
J73CS
J73ODM-3
EA2AAA
and occasionally
F5RAG-4
FG5FU
F5RZU-2

These stations are transmitting weather reports every 6 minutes in addition
to station identification. I copy the first 4 stations 100% except when a
collision occurs I will lose that data.

The two stations in P.R. are not as strong and I copy their transmissions
about 50% of the time. Obviously the last 3 stations I only copy when propagation
is very favorable. But the principle point here is all of these stations are
transmitting weather every 6 minutes along with station IDs. From the top 4
stations I normally receive 1200-1300 transmissions each over a 7 day period.

OK so what does all of this have to do with my station not receiving ACKs.
Please excuse my simplistic way of describing what happens but, when I send a
short message to Clay very obviously all the stations South of me as well most
of the stations to the North and N.W of me also hear my transmission and they
wait. When ever I transmit they standby until the transmission is over. When
transmitting a one line  message the duration of the transmission is longer than
a simple ID. As a consequence all these stations appear to STANDBY longer
until my transmission is finished. The switch-over time in my SGC is about 25
milliseconds but instantly when I start receiving I SEE and HEAR easily 2
signals and occasionally 3 or more different transmissions. It appears everyone was
just waiting for me to finish. So obviously Clay's ACK to me is lost in a
collision with other stations South of me that perhaps he doesn't hear. The
absolute opposite can be said for the stations in the South.  The only difference
being is the weather stations are unattended, and do not address their messages
to a specific station so they are not expecting to receive an ACK. Probably a
good arrangement based on the density of all the transmissions I see/hear.
Another interesting facet is apparently the short transmissions that include my
ACKs to messages directed to me seem to get thru better.

I just don't believe anyone really realizes how many collisions I see and
hear. It is truly phenomenal.  And as a consequence it takes several tries of the
message in order to receive an ACK from just about any of the stations I
contact on 30M..

This situation has been existing for at least a couple of years. And again I
want to state I do not have a problem with this condition. In fact I do
observe the weather data from the stations in the Turks and Caicos every other day
or so, I find it very informative to provide me weather predictions that will
arrive here within 36-48 hours.

As far as the sensitivity and reach of my station I have on a few rare
occasions exchanged a simple hello to F5RZU-2 in France and G4GTH in G.B.

Is there a solution for this situation. I don't really know. Perhaps if the
return ACK was delayed say 30-45 seconds perhaps the traffic density would be
down so it could get thru. It's a very mute point.

Anyway I hope everyone can gain some information about this situation. At
least it's something to think about, regardless if anything can be accomplished.

73 de Jim