[aprssig] Emergency Beacons

Christensen, Eric CHRISTENSENE at MAIL.ECU.EDU
Tue Nov 23 09:46:56 EST 2004

I wonder if those alarms work.  I don't believe I have ever received an
alarm.  I was supposed to receive an email but I didn't.  Does the D700
alarm if an emergency beacon is received?

73s,
Eric KF4OTN
kf4otn at amsat.org
http://www.ericsatcom.net

-----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org
[mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org] On Behalf Of Robert Bruninga
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 08:30
To: aprssig at lists.tapr.org
Subject: Re: [aprssig] Emergency Beacons

>I made an opps earlier today.  I thought I had setup my
>D700 with a status of 'TEST' before I hit the "Emergency"
>status but it appears it didn't send the "TEST" part.

Thanks for reminding us all of this error.  Let me remind everyone
else:::

Some "aprs" clone software does not even support STATUS.
And since a single APRS EMERGENCY packet triggers alarms
for EVERYONE, the best rule is never-ever send out a test
emergency packet except on a NON-APRS frequency into a
dummy load where you are guaranteed that no one will
receive it.

STATUS is dispayed separately from a POSIT and the
EMERGENCY bit is in the POSIT.... So again, NEVER
send out an emergency packet unless it is a REAL
emergency.

Thanks, for reminding us all of this operations scenario.
 Bob