[aprssig] New and playing

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Fri Nov 19 13:44:21 EST 2004

Today I am back home and was able to do some quick testing.

I took a handheld scanner - tuned to 144.39, attached a 1/4 wave 2 meter mag
mount antenna, and put the antenna on a piece of sheet metal and placed it on
the edge of my roof (easy to reach). I took a quick run out and about and sure
enough, even with just the rubber duck HT antenna on the 5.5 watt HT, I began
seeing myself much better than before. I guess I should point out that the
scanner is attached to my Linux box via a soundcard and Xastir is running
listening to the "soundcard TNC".

So, it looks like my theory of adding a relay digi (or an IGate) would be
helpful to me and others in my area (the few that are around).

I was surprised to be hearing stations digipeted that are over 200 miles away.

So I guess I am in the market for an inexpensive 2 meter radio to setup as a
relay digipeter. Anyone got a nice 2 meter radio to donate :-)

Thanks to everyone for their constructive feedback on this topic!