[aprssig] KISS mode - a different perspective -was- Re: [ui-view] RE: Windows UI-View Replacement - Development

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Tue Nov 16 01:01:57 EST 2004

Personally, I think it's time to start looking at alternatives to KISS, at
least for new stuff.  I'm all for developing a USB interface spec, but I'll
be in a better position to decide how that might work in a few months when
I've got my own USB TNC working.

Not sure why you wouldn't run KISS mode for gateway and beacon functions as
well.  My IGate uses a KISS-connected KPC-3.  APRSD handles the beacons and
gateway, and Xastir runs part time as the user interface.  For Windows,
something written as a service would be nice - but that's something you
don't often see in amateur software.  I wrote an APRS IS parser and database
engine awhile back as a Windows service and it worked pretty well.  Beats
keeping something minimized in the background.  Haven't messed with that in
awhile, though, because the parser library I was using apparently got
abandoned, and I was mostly just writing it to play with Oracle Spatial.

Scott
N1VG