[aprssig] Default find.cgi scale

James Jefferson Jarvis jj at aprsworld.net
Mon Nov 15 11:48:52 EST 2004

For what it is worth:

The aprsworld server that findu uses for its maps is a dedicated machine that
only serves findu. It is the original findu machine loaned to me by Steve
Dimse. It is a dual Pentium III 550MHz with 384 megs of RAM and a couple of
smallish IDE drives. I don't know what the date of manufacture is ... perhaps
1999 or 2000?

Here is the output from uptime on the machine as of 10:30 this morning:
16:33:23 up 202 days, 20:48,  2 users,  load average: 1.15, 1.18, 1.06

During peak times I often see the load above 4.

At this point I don't have the interest or the financial resources to purchase
a newer machine to serve findu's maps. I'm a 20 year-old college student who
is trying to do decently in school activities, start my own business, and
attempt to "have a life". That, and other factors, make it really hard for me
to justify putting $2k or more of my own money into a new map server JUST FOR
findu. If I had $2k to drop on APRS stuff it would probably be to get a new
database server for MY PROJECT, aprsworld.

So if the owner of findu or it's users want better response time then the
responsibility to get new hardware falls on their shoulders. I'll donate my
time and resources to get it running and host it.

73

-Jim KB0THN
kb0thn at aprsworld.net

PS - or findu could implement map caching on their end and this ancient
hardware would continue to do fine, tons of bandwidth could be saved, and the
response times would get much shorter for findu's users ... I can't control
either the hardware or findu's caching.