[aprssig] UI-View... and the Future - New Open Source Type Project?

Darryl Smith Darryl at radio-active.net.au
Fri Nov 12 17:49:20 EST 2004

Guys

Ken Commented...
> The bad news is, that despite many offers from around the world to
> continue development of UI-View, Roger, rightly or wrongly, decided
> that the development of the program as he envisaged it would not
> continue after his death.

There is a need for a UI-View type of program. But lets face it, UI-VIEW is
something we can copy. Configuration files for TNC's are now there. MAP file
formats. The lot.

Realistically if we as a community wanted to develop something, we could.

So I am placing an offer with the community. If a group comes up with a
proposal to start development on a new WINDOWS application, I will donate
the source code for my OziAPRS or NetAPRS software to the effort. We will
need to work out the terms, but I think this will provide a huge start.
Initially all that would be needed would be the mapping display side.
netAPRS provides much of what is needed.

I am not saying that this would be an easy project, but it is a project that
is achievable.

If we went down this road, I am confident that we would be able to get an
organization like TAPR to administer any IP type issues and hold the source
code.

This is a challenge to all. If you reply, make sure you reply to me
personally too. Forward this on to other people too.

Darryl

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS   POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 International]
www.radio-active.net.au\blog\ - www.radio-active.net.au\web\tracking