[aprssig] APRS Traffic SPeed Monitoring and display

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Nov 12 14:03:25 EST 2004

APRStfc.exe monitors traffic speeds past dozens of local
traffic monitoring posts and sends out local Traffic speeds
for other APRS mobiles.  This service is so valuable to
commuters, that we have seen two new hams buy D700's
just so they can monitor the traffic during their commute.

A local APRStfc traffic server only takes minutes to set up
and only a half hour or so to move the mouse around and
install the traffic sensors in your city.  You only need one
running per city.

We have had one running for months in the Wash DC area
and I see one now in Mobile Alabama.  I am surprised that
there are not more running...  It is so simple and yet so
effective, that I have even set one up in my motel  room
while traveling to serve the local area while I am there.

APRStfc is an APRSdos variant, but anyone can run it to
serve their area.

See:  http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/traffic.html

de Wb4APR, Bob