[aprssig] Question about FindU

Rich Garcia k4gps at arrl.net
Tue Nov 9 18:30:16 EST 2004

Echo would not make your signal go to HF via a gateway unless someone has
set their TNC incorrectly.

GATE will make you GATEWAY to HF from VHF or from VHF to HF if you have a
station set up in the area to do so.

ECHO is the setting in MYALIAS for HF stations. This is the same as the use
of MYALIAS of RELAY on VHF. ECHO will do nothing on VHF unless someone in
the area has set their TNC up incorrectly, if this is the case that station
will digi any station set up as ECHO in their path.

To recap...

MYGATE GATE (HF only will allow X-Band operations on some TNC's)
MYALIAS ECHO (HF only, will allow stations on HF to digipeat via someone
else and discouraged (mostly long haul truckers)to avoid collisions and
bouncing all over the country like 00 Buck shot in a steel room)
MYALIAS RELAY (VHF only, will allow stations on VHF to digipeat stations
that are local to them)
MYALIAS WIDE (VHF LARGE COVERAGE stations only, MUST coordinate with other
locals so that EVERYONE is NOT A WIDE and cause collisions)

Rich