[aprssig] APRS on expedition, but non ham? (txdelay too)

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Thu Nov 4 10:47:42 EST 2004

I do send packet IDs simplex when operating a tac call.  I definitely do not
consider it snubbing tradition or anything of the sort.  I do it to make better
use of available bandwidth... consider me a good neighbor.  My equipment IDs
using the on-air characteristics (power, deviation, etc), but my tac call ID's
do not waste bandwidth beyond simplex range.  Yes, one could argue that one
packet out three hops every 10 minutes is not a heavy bandwidth user, but I
tend to believe that every little bit helps.  On the other hand, CWID, although
legal has two problems... first true DCD machines can't "see" it, second it is
not an "in mode" ID.  and well, third, it takes a LLLLOOOOONNNNGGGG time to
send.

Just to side track here... has anyone thought about how much bandwidth we'd have
if every digi owner would minimize their TXdelay?  I say digiowners because
although a home stations's tx-delay may be longer than needed, it only
transmits every 10 minutes (or 1 to 3 minutes for your mobile).  Compare this
with the sheer number of packets your local digipeater sends every minute.  If
the TXdelay on a digipeater is 200ms too long (most radios today will work with
100ms txd, and the kpc3 defaults to 300ms), and a digi can transmit 1200 packets
an hour (assuming 33% saturation), it would save 240 seconds per hour of on air
time.  In a saturated network, this would permit 4 more mobile users with a one
minute beacon rate, or 40 more home users with a 10 minute beacon rate.

Wes