[aprssig] APRS on expedition, but non ham?

Steve Dimse k4hg at tapr.org
Mon Nov 1 01:21:24 EST 2004

On 10/31/04 at 8:57 PM Chris Rose <kb8uih at sbcglobal.net> sent:

>If you did this in the United States it would be
>illegal.  An unlicensed operator can't operate amateur
>transmitting equipment.
>
>A control operator who has a license must be in a
>position to turn off or alter the operation of an
>amateur station transmitter.

You ought to read part 97 more carefully. All it says on this matter regarding
automatically controlled stations is if the control op is notified by an FCC
Engineer-In-Charge, the control operator must have a means to cease operation.
There is no requirement as to time frame or method of cesation.

So, I program a D7 to transmit, give it to someone to carry. They are not
initiating any tranmission, the D7 automatically transmits, and therefore is
completely legal. In the extremely unlikely circumstance the FCC contacts me, I
call my friend via cell or sat phone and tell them to turn the D7 off, thereby
ceasing transmission. There is nothing in the rules that says an unlicensed
person cannot turn a ham radio off. This completely complies with US rules...

Steve K4HG