[aprssig] Free development tools for the OpenTracker

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Nov 3 16:06:43 EST 2004

> > If you guys would do stuff like this using Java instead, you'd only have
> > to do it once for 99.9% of the people...
>
> Wasn't my choice.  It had already been done using WxWidgets, and I
> just came along and re-ported it to Linux, both the GUI and the text
> version.

If someone wants to take that on, let me know.  Heck, I'll throw in a few
free kits for anyone that cleans up the code and ports it to Java.

The big problem I see with using Java is the hardware access.  You've got to
be able to get access to the serial port in a portable manner, and that
includes sending a break signal for oscillator calibration.  I don't know
enough about Java to know how hard that'd be.  The rest of it is handling C
data structures and dealing with big-endian/little-endian conversion, and
lots of UI stuff.

Scott, N1VG
http://n1vg.net/opentracker