[aprssig] APRS on expedition, but non ham?

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Mon Nov 1 10:08:01 EST 2004

>The assumption that the only valid way to ID a packet TX is by the AX.25
>originating station ID is bogus. The TX has to be ID'd - Part 97 never
>says where in the packet it has to be ID'd. Happens that tradition and
>AX.25 usually puts the ID in the originating station slot - but that's
>not a rule, that's a protocol.

I've got nothing against callsigns in the comment field.  It's when you've
got dumb trackers with tactical calls that are only transmitting a CW ID or
other non-digipeated ID that I get annoyed.

It's equivalent to getting on a state-wide linked repeater network, and
switching to simplex every time you need to ID.  Sure, you're ID'ing
yourself on the air, but the majority of those who are receiving the rest of
your transmissions won't get your ID.  At least in that case someone can get
on the air and ASK for your ID - with a dumb tracker, there's no way to tell
who's responsible for it unless you happen to be in simplex range.

Sure, maybe it's legal... I just think it's impolite, and bad operating
practice.

Scott
N1VG