[aprssig] Wind speed/direction

Chuck Kimball n0nhj at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 19:20:37 EDT 2004

GUST---A sudden significant increase in or rapid fluctuations of wind
speed. Peak wind must reach at least 16 knots (18 miles per hour) and
the variation between peaks and lulls is at least 10 knots (11.5 miles
per hour). The duration is usually less twenty seconds.

Most of the references I could find said 3 seconds was the WMO
recommendation, but 5 seconds was used in North America.

Take a look at these....

<http://www.mnsu.edu/weather/218labs/glossary/glossary_g.html>

<http://www.msc-smc.ec.gc.ca/education/imres/42_instruments/4_2_1_2_wind_e.cfm>

<http://ingrid.ldeo.columbia.edu/dochelp/QA/Technical/def_wind.html>