[aprssig] Homemade Geiger Counter

Kurt A. Freiberger kurt at badgers-hill.net
Tue Jul 27 15:27:13 EDT 2004

That brings back memories!!  Rat Shack used to sell TO-3 cases with the
top off, and a red filter in its place.  Made a rather fine IR detector.

As for fluorescent tubes, I was involved in a project to make a cosmic
ray telescope in a salt mine here in texas.  The detectors were to be
made out of fluorescent tubes without the stuff that glowes, in clumps
of 10 tubes with 10 tubes over that at 90 degree positioning, then 10
tubes at 0 degree positioning so as to produce a cluster 10 tubes high.
  The outputs would go to a Data General Nova 1200, using an
autoincrement DMA feature of the memory mapping unit.  I can't remember
how many stacks we would have used.  We were going to use a 220Mhz link
back to the campus.  Unfortunately, the funding fell through.  Woulda
been cool.

73/Kurt

Kurt A. Freiberger     Austin, TX	kurt at badgers-hill.net
Amateur Radio Callsign WB5BBW  		AIM Handle: WB5BBW
"Some people are like Slinkys - Generally considered useless, but
  you can't help smiling when you see them falling down the stairs."