[aprssig] Fixing HID problems on APRS!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Jul 24 21:13:40 EDT 2004

> Seeing over 50 HID's per hour (Counting dupes this
> is as many as 200 per hour), this is an abomination on
> 144.39 just in my area.  This is a BIG problem that we
> need to fix now.

The facts are simple:

HOME STATIONS:  Benign home stations average about
2 packets per 30 minutes (a POSIT and a STATUS).  Adding
an HID packet EVERY 10 minutes changes this to *5*
packets every 30 minutes.  Thus, HID packets represent
60% of the channel load for every station with HID ON.

DIGIS:  Digis properly set with a POSITION once
every 10 mins local, every 30 mins with one hop and
once every hour 2 hops are averaging about 21 total
copies per hour.   BUT if HID is set, and this digi
has an UNPROTO path of 3 hops, then the HID
packet can generate almost 174 potential copies
per hour over a large area!

Just watch your raw packet stream.  On average
I am seeing an ID packet about every minute.
And for a packet that has no value on APRS, this
is something we need to fix...  and CAN fix.

Thanks
Bob, WB4APR