[aprssig] Path Precedence

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Thu Jul 22 13:34:30 EDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Peter Devanney wrote:

> So can I aasume that the safe path would be
>
> RELAY,WIDE2-2,SAR
>

> SAR in this case is a special digi that only exists for a short
> time and is in a special place - like at the top of a hill in a
> SAR operations area- and only digi's those portables/mobiles with
> SAR in the right place in the path. When the SAR is over the digi
> goes home and its alias is reprogrammed to act as a normal home
> RELAY only digi.
>
> What I am trying to do is set up a path in the trackers that will
> work when the SAR digi is in place but that will also work
> normally when it is not in place - without having to re program
> the tracker path.
>
> So again, would RELAY,WIDE2-2,SAR be the way to do this?

I'm involved in SAR as well, so I have a pretty good idea what
you're trying to do.  BTW:  Did you know that the Xastir APRS client
supports several SAR features, and more are planned?  We also do
topo maps and street maps, all for free.  http://www.xastir.org.
See the "Search and Rescue Features" link on the left.

The proper path for what you're trying to do would be SAR,WIDE2-2 I
think.  This has the downside that units coming in might not be seen
at all until they get within range of the SAR digi.

Another possibility would be to set up your SAR digi as a RELAY
digi, then you can use the RELAY,WIDE2-2 path in all cases.  It's ok
if others get relayed through your SAR digi every once in a while,
unless you're severely limited in your power source I suppose.