[aprssig] "Emergency!" test convention?

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Jul 21 11:48:24 EDT 2004

While nothing out there uses it yet, OpenTRAC defines a simulated emergency
flag.  The idea is that you'd configure your client for excercise/simulation
mode, and it'd respond to the flag as if it were a real emergency (hopefully
with some visible reminder that you're in simulation mode.)  I don't know if
there are any more Mic-E status codes available, but that might be one way
to do it.

I think a quiet time is a bad idea.  If you're going to do it, make it only
one day of the week at a specific UTC time.  Remember, some places have
half-hour offsets for their local time zones... the locals might know that,
but once it gets into the APRS-IS, all bets are off.

Scott
N1VG