[aprssig] Tracker power control relay

James Jarvis jj at aprsworld.net
Mon Jul 19 13:53:49 EDT 2004

Scott - consider using a high side switching FET instead. IRF has some cute
little parts that are pretty cheap. 5 amps in an SO-8 package for < $2 or 100
amps in a TO-220-5 package for < $6. Logic level input. I can dig up some
part numbers if you would like.

I did this on one of my weather stations a few years ago. It would power up
the TNC and radio for 30 seconds whenever it wanted to transmit. After power
up it would wait about 10 seconds for the KPC-3 to boot and the radio to
stabilize, then it would send the packet and allow the KPC-3 20 seconds to
get access to the channel and transmit.

I'm actually doing printed circuit board layout today on a similar board. It
is (more-or-less) four IRF3310 100 amp high side switches, an Allegro hall
effect current sensor, a PIC microcontroller, some LEDS, and some connectors.
The IRF3310's include over current protection and shutdown, so in this
application there will not be any fuses.

-Jim KB0THN